Just as we were about to publish this Power Ranking we received official news from Oracle on the General Availability of Oracle APEX 19.1! There were a few moves within the rankings but most importantly REST-Enabled Forms actually strengthened its grip on the top spot.
Where does your favorite APEX 19.1 new feature rank?
Biggest Mover Up: App Builder Dark Mode [ +2 ]
Biggest Mover Down: Reflow Report Region [ -3 ]
Previous Rankings: February 2019
Editor’s note: Each month, we’ll power rank the rumored enhancements ahead of Oracle APEX 19.1’s GA release. We’ll take the pulse of the APEX community, monitoring comments, talking to you all and gauging the interest, enthusiasm and expected impact of each of these enhancements. If you’re looking forward to a particular feature, make sure to tweet or blog about it. It just may affect the rankings! Power Rankings are based on a preponderance of social media. If you have an issue with these Oracle APEX 19.1 rankings, or have a question or comment for Monty Latiolais, send him an e-mail or contact him via Twitter. Just understand he won’t be bought…but he can be rented.
New Dynamic Action Open/Close Region
Last month’s ranking: 7th [ -1 ]
New Inline Popup Region Template
Last month’s ranking: 8th [ +1 ]
Oracle JET and jQuery Library Upgrades
Last month’s ranking: 6th [ No change ]
- JET 6.1.0
- jQuery 3.3.1
- jQuery UI 1.12.1
Last month’s ranking: 4th [ -1 ]
- Status Meter Gauge
- New JET chart type which supports 3 rendering options: Circular, Horizontal, and Vertical.
- Automatically replaces de-supported JET Dial Gauge chart.
- GANNT Chart Enhancements
- New declarative Tooltip options, for better control over the information displayed in tooltips.
- New examples in Sample Charts application, page 3.
- Stack Chart Enhancements
- New declarative Stack Label option, to render stack value totals on top of each stack.
- New declarative Stack Category option, to easily render stack charts with multiple stacks.
- Text Formatting Enhancements
- New declarative options to set the font family, style, size, and color for axes titles and values, series values, and legend values.
- Sample Chart application Enhancements
- New in 19.1 section added to Reference page, to highlight new features and functionality introduced in 19.1
- Status Meter Gauge
New Data Loading
Last month’s ranking: 3rd [ -1 ]
- The data upload functionality in SQL Workshop has been modernized with a new drag & drop user interface and support for native Excel, CSV, XML and JSON documents. The same capabilities have been added to the Create App from Spreadsheet wizard and a new, public data loading PL/SQL API (Package APEX_DATA_PARSER) will be made available.
App Builder Dark Mode
Last month’s ranking: 5th [ +2 ]
- The development environment of APEX can now be rendered with a darker color scheme, which reduces eye strain and is especially helpful for those who are developing late into the night.
Interactive Grid Enhancements
Last month’s ranking: 2nd [ No change ]
- Additional declarative attributes have been added to Page Designer for managing Interactive Grids.
- Select First Row
- Configuring the Toolbar
- Turning on and off Action Menu features
- Turning column options on and off
REST Enabled Forms
Last month’s ranking: 1st [ No change ]
- The built-in support for REST-enabled SQL and Web Sources has been extended to Form regions and allow read and write access to remote data sources. The APEX_EXEC PL/SQL API will also be extended to support read and write.
“By providing a simple, low code based approach to building data entry forms based on REST enabled services, APEX has given us the ability to give users the location agnostic, integrated experience they expect without wasting time and money on expensive integration frameworks.”
— Rich Soule, Director of Consulting Services, Insum